Ethanol abuse is the excessive consumption of ethyl alcohol or ethanol.
In common usage, alcohol is used as a synonym for ethanol, which is abbreviated EtOH. Alcohol abuse causes a large number of medical problems. It includes both acute and chronic problems, and affects a multitude of systems.
In pathology, alcohol may refer to the fixative; it is a chemical used to preserve tissue.
- Very common.
Classic lab findings in alcohol abusers
- AST & ALT elevated with AST:ALT=2:1.
- GGT elevated.
- MCV increased.
Acute toxicity is discussed in the section ethanol toxicity.
Pathology associated with alcohol
Head & neck:
Luminal GI tract:
- Alcoholic liver disease.
- Marchiafava-Bignami Disease.
- Wernicke's encephalopathy.
- Intracranial haemorrhage - due to trauma arising from drunkenness.
- Blunt force trauma - accidental.
- Choking - increased risk with acute intoxication.