Sertoli cell nodule
From Libre Pathology
|Sertoli cell nodule|
|Diagnosis in short|
Sertoli cell nodule. H&E stain.
|Synonyms||Pick's adenoma, testicular tubular adenoma, tubular adenoma of the testis|
|LM||unencapsulated nodules composed of well-formed tubules, +/eosinophilic (hyaline) blob in lumen (centre), cells - vaguely resemble immature Sertoli cells (bland hyperchromatic oval/round nuclei) but are stratified (somewhat like a tubular adenoma of the gastrointestinal tract)|
|LM DDx||Sertoli cell tumour, sex cord tumour with annular tubules, gonadoblastoma|
|IHC||alpha-inhibin +ve, PLAP -ve|
|Clinical history||+/-undescended testis|
|Prevalence||uncommon in general|
Sertoli cell nodule, abbreviated SCN, is a benign lesion of the testis that is usually incidental.
It is also known as Pick's adenoma, testicular tubular adenoma and tubular adenoma of the testis.
- Benign proliferation of Sertoli cells - associated with cryptorchidism (undescended testis).
- Not composed of a clonal cell population, i.e. not neoplastic; thus, technically, should not be called an adenoma.
- Usually an incidental finding, rarely presents as a testicular mass.
- Unencapsulated nodules composed of well-formed tubules.
- May contain eosinophilic (hyaline) blob in lumen (centre).
- Cells - vaguely resemble immature Sertoli cells:
- Bland hyperchromatic oval/round nuclei that are stratified - somewhat like a tubular adenoma of the gastrointestinal tract - key feature.
- Alpha-inhibin +ve (5/5 cases).
- OCT3/4 -ve (5/5 cases).
- PLAP -ve.
TESTICLE, LEFT, ORCHIECTOMY: - ATROPHIC TESTICLE WITH SERTOLI CELL NODULES. - NEGATIVE FOR GERM CELL NEOPLASIA IN SITU (INTRATUBULAR GERM CELL NEOPLASIA). - NEGATIVE FOR MALIGNANCY. COMMENT: The above findings are supported by immunostains. The tubules stain with alpha-inhibin and are negative for PLAP.
- Tadrous, Paul.J. Diagnostic Criteria Handbook in Histopathology: A Surgical Pathology Vade Mecum (1st ed.). Wiley. pp. 227. ISBN 978-0470519035.
- Vallangeon, BD.; Eble, JN.; Ulbright, TM. (Dec 2010). "Macroscopic sertoli cell nodule: a study of 6 cases that presented as testicular masses.". Am J Surg Pathol 34 (12): 1874-80. doi:10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181fcab70. PMID 21107095.
- Ricco R, Bufo P (October 1980). "[Histologic study of 3 cases of so-called tubular adenoma of the testis]" (in Italian). Boll. Soc. Ital. Biol. Sper. 56 (20): 2110–5. PMID 6109541.