Basal cell hyperplasia of the prostate
From Libre Pathology
(Redirected from Basal cell hyperplasia of prostate)
|Basal cell hyperplasia of the prostate|
|Diagnosis in short|
Basal cell hyperplasia of prostate. H&E stain. (WC)
|LM||low power gland architecture near normal, glands usually not as small as cancer, usu. lack nuclear hyperchromasia, two cell populations (as in normal prostate glands), basal cells may have nucleoli|
|LM DDx||urothelial metaplasia, prostate carcinoma|
|IHC||basal presents (p63 +ve, CK34betaE12 +ve)|
|Other||incidental microscopic finding|
- Benign lesion that can be misdiagnosed as cancer.
- Low power gland architecture near normal.
- Glands not as small as cancer.
- Folds in gland lumina.
- No nuclear hyperchromasia.
- Two cell populations (as in normal prostate glands).
- Basal cells may have nucleoli.
- High-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia - has nuclear hyperchromasia, architecture usually different (micropapillary, tufted, cribriform or flat).
- Prostatic adenocarcinoma.
- Adenoid cystic/basal cell carcinoma of the prostate - for the adenoid cystic-like pattern of BCH.
- Urothelial metaplasia of the prostate - larger cells, cell borders seen.
- Usually not reported.
- Cleary, KR.; Choi, HY.; Ayala, AG. (Dec 1983). "Basal cell hyperplasia of the prostate.". Am J Clin Pathol 80 (6): 850-4. PMID 6195916.
- URL: http://pathologyoutlines.com/prostate.html#bch. Accessed on: 28 June 2010.
- URL: http://www.nature.com/modpathol/journal/v16/n6/fig_tab/3880810f1.html. Accessed on: 28 June 2010.
- URL: http://www.nature.com/modpathol/journal/v16/n6/fig_tab/3880810f2.html. Accessed on: 28 June 2010.
- McKenney, JK.; Amin, MB.; Srigley, JR.; Jimenez, RE.; Ro, JY.; Grignon, DJ.; Young, RH. (Oct 2004). "Basal cell proliferations of the prostate other than usual basal cell hyperplasia: a clinicopathologic study of 23 cases, including four carcinomas, with a proposed classification.". Am J Surg Pathol 28 (10): 1289-98. PMID 15371944.