Paget's disease of the bone
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Paget's disease of the bone is an uncommon benign disorder of bone with distinctive radiographic findings.
|Paget's disease of the bone|
|Diagnosis in short|
Paget's disease of the bone. H&E stain.
|LM||bone matrix has jigsaw-puzzle like pattern (jigsaw-puzzle pieces each ~ 100-500 micrometres in size in largest dimension), increased osteoclast activity|
|Associated Dx||fracture of bone, secondary osteosarcoma|
|Blood work||elevated ALP|
|Radiology||bony deformity, "sunburst" skull|
- Benign - unlike Paget disease of the breast.
- Afflicts ~ 3% of population > 55 years old.
- Leading cause of secondary osteosarcoma.
- Uncommonly associated with giant cell tumour of bone.
- Diagnosis based on radiology.
- Genetic component - several genes implicated including TNFRSF11A (AKA PDB2) and PDB4.
- Bone pain.
- Bony deformity.
- Incidental finding - radiologic or biochemical.
- Elevated ALP.
Clinical features - mnemonic PANICS:
- Pain (bone).
- Arthralgia and ALP elevated.
- Nerve compression - deafness.
- Increased bone density.
- Cardiac failure (high output) - due to AVM formation in bone.
- Sunburst skull on X-ray.
- Lytic (predominantly osteoclasts).
- Mixed lytic (osteoclastic) and blastic (osteoblastic).
- Sclerotic (burned-out).
- Lytic and mixed Paget disease are cellular and fibro-osseous (bone and fibrous components)
- Sclerotic Paget disease has thickened bone trabeculae.
- Bone matrix has jigsaw-puzzle like pattern.
- Jigsaw-puzzle pieces each ~ 100-500 micrometres in size (largest dimension).
- Increased osteoclast activity.
- Osteoclast = macrophage that reabsorbs bone matrix.
- Britton, C.; Walsh, J. (Mar 2012). "Paget disease of bone - an update.". Aust Fam Physician 41 (3): 100-3. PMID 22396921.
- Hoch, B.; Hermann, G.; Klein, MJ.; Abdelwahab, IF.; Springfield, D. (Oct 2007). "Giant cell tumor complicating Paget disease of long bone.". Skeletal Radiol 36 (10): 973-8. doi:10.1007/s00256-007-0310-x. PMID 17437100.
- Karakida, K.; Ota, Y.; Aoki, T.; Akamatsu, T.; Kajiwara, H.; Hirabayashi, K. (Sep 2010). "Multiple giant cell tumors in maxilla and skull complicating Paget's disease of bone.". Tokai J Exp Clin Med 35 (3): 112-7. PMID 21319038.
- Online 'Mendelian Inheritance in Man' (OMIM) 602080
- Online 'Mendelian Inheritance in Man' (OMIM) 603499
- Online 'Mendelian Inheritance in Man' (OMIM) 606263
- URL: http://www.medicalgeek.com/orthopedics/2743-orthopedics-mnemonics.html. Accessed on: 30 April 2012.
- URL: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/311688-overview. Accessed on: 25 December 2010.
- URL: http://radiopaedia.org/articles/paget-disease-of-bone-1. Accessed on: 25 December 2010.