Mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostate
From Libre Pathology
(Redirected from Mucinous prostate carcinoma)
|Mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostate|
|Diagnosis in short|
Mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostate (left of image) with acinar adenocarcinoma of the prostate (right of image). H&E stain. (WC/Nephron)
|LM||cytologically malignant (prostatic) cells floating in mucin; >25% of tumour mucinous|
|LM DDx||acinar adenocarcinoma of the prostate with a minor mucinous component (<25%), metastatic mucinous carcinoma, mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostatic urethra|
|Grossing notes||prostatectomy grossing, TURP specimens|
|Site||prostate gland - see prostate cancer|
|Blood work||PSA elevated|
|Prognosis||dependent on grade|
|Treatment||prostatectomy, radiation or observation|
Mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostate is an uncommon type of prostate cancer.
- In the past, it has been suggested that the mucinous component be assigned Gleason pattern 4.
- The prognosis is similar or may be better than the conventional type of prostate cancer in a large series; thus, it seems reasonable to grade based on the pattern (as advocated by some experts).
- Cytologically malignant cells floating in mucin.
- > 25% of tumour mucinous.
- Mucinous carcinoma - percentage required to call varies by site.
- Metastatic mucinous carcinoma.
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostatic urethra - analogous to the mucinous adenocarcinoma of the urinary bladder.
- Osunkoya, AO.; Nielsen, ME.; Epstein, JI. (Mar 2008). "Prognosis of mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostate treated by radical prostatectomy: a study of 47 cases.". Am J Surg Pathol 32 (3): 468-72. doi:10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181589f72. PMID 18300802.
- Grignon DJ (March 2004). "Unusual subtypes of prostate cancer". Mod. Pathol. 17 (3): 316–27. doi:10.1038/modpathol.3800052. PMID 14976541.
- Osunkoya, AO.; Adsay, NV.; Cohen, C.; Epstein, JI.; Smith, SL. (Jul 2008). "MUC2 expression in primary mucinous and nonmucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostate: an analysis of 50 cases on radical prostatectomy.". Mod Pathol 21 (7): 789-94. doi:10.1038/modpathol.2008.47. PMID 18487999.
- Osunkoya AO, Nielsen ME, Epstein JI (March 2008). "Prognosis of mucinous adenocarcinoma of the prostate treated by radical prostatectomy: a study of 47 cases". Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 32 (3): 468–72. doi:10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181589f72. PMID 18300802.
- Bohman, KD.; Osunkoya, AO. (Nov 2012). "Mucin-producing tumors and tumor-like lesions involving the prostate: a comprehensive review.". Adv Anat Pathol 19 (6): 374-87. doi:10.1097/PAP.0b013e318271a361. PMID 23060063.