Intravascular large B-cell lymphoma
|Intravascular large B-cell lymphoma|
|Diagnosis in short|
Intravascular lymphoma. H&E stain.
|LM||abundant atypical intravascular lymphoid cells (large ~2-3X size of a mature lymphocyte, nucleolus prominent)|
|LM DDx||T-cell intravascular lymphoma|
|IHC||CD20 +ve, CD34 -ve, CD3 -ve|
|Signs||non-specific presentation - may include fever, skin lesions|
|Clin. DDx||dependent on presentation, may include stroke|
Intravascular large B-cell lymphoma refers to a rare form of lymphoma that is intravascular, B-cell derived, and does not manifest as a mass.
Several terms have been use to refer this entity, including angiotropic lymphoma, intravascular malignant lymphomatosis and malignant angioendotheliomatosis.
- Rare - est. at one in million.
- Often a non-specific presentation.
- +/-Multiple infarcts.
- +/-Non-specific skin lesions.
- Abundant atypical intravascular lymphoid cells that are:
- Large (~2-3X size of a mature lymphocyte or RBC).
- Nucleolus prominent.
- It may be hard to find RBCs in the vessels.
- Looks sorta like a DLBCL -- but is intravascular.
- ILBCL (ascopubs.org).
- ILBCL in bone marrow (alphamedpress.org).
- ILBCL - various images (oxfordjournals.org).
- ILBCL (upmc.edu).
- ILBCL - several images (upmc.edu).
- CD20 +ve - key feature.
- CD79a +ve.
- CD3 -ve.
- CD34 -ve.
- Raza, M.; Qayyum, S.; Raza, S.; Goorha, S. (May 2012). "Intravascular B-cell lymphoma: an elusive diagnosis.". J Clin Oncol 30 (15): e144-5. doi:10.1200/JCO.2011.38.7720. PMID 22529262.
- Lapkuviene O, Forchetti D, Roepke JE (October 2001). "Unusual sites of involvement by hematologic malignancies. Case 1. Intravascular large B-cell lymphoma presenting with CNS symptoms". J. Clin. Oncol. 19 (19): 3988–91. PMID 11579120. http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/19/19/3988.full.
- URL: http://path.upmc.edu/cases/case473.html. Accessed on: 21 January 2012.