From Libre Pathology
(Redirected from Cholesterolosis)
|Diagnosis in short|
Gallbladder cholesterolosis. H&E stain.
|LM||abundant foamy macrophages in the lamina propria, +/-papillary hyperplasia|
|LM DDx||cholesterol polyp of gallbladder|
|Gross||gallbladder mucosa with strawberry-like texture|
|Associated Dx||chronic cholecystitis, obesity, cholelithiasis|
|Clinical history||biliary colic - due to chronic cholecystitis|
Informally, gallbladder cholesterolosis is known as strawberry gallbladder.
- Common in chronic cholecystitis.
- Seen in ~13% of cases in a large series of 23,304 gallbladders.
- Slightly more common in women than men (14% of cases in women versus 10% of cases in men).
- Less likely to be associated with cancer than gallbladders without cholesterolosis; relative risk of cancer in non-cholesterolosis gallbladders 9.2.
- Associated with yellow gallstones (cholesterol type gallstones).
- Mucosa has strawberry-like appearance.
- The similarity is in the surface texture.
- The colour (yellow) is not strawberry-like.
- Numerous foamy macrophages in the lamina propria.
- +/-Papillary hyperplasia.
- Cholesterol polyp of gallbladder - polypoid shape.
GALLBLADDER, CHOLECYSTECTOMY: - CHRONIC CHOLECYSTITIS WITH CHOLESTEROLOSIS. - CHOLELITHIASIS.
GALLBLADDER, CHOLECYSTECTOMY: - CHRONIC CHOLECYSTITIS WITH FOCAL FOAMY MACROPHAGES IN LAMINA PROPRIA. - CHOLELITHIASIS.
- Roa, I.; de Aretxabala, X.; Ibacache, G.; Muñoz, S. (Jul 2010). "[Association between cholesterolosis and gallbladder cancer].". Rev Med Chil 138 (7): 804-8. PMID 21043073.
- Celoria, GC.; Rodríguez Otero, JC.; Proske, SA.; Vallilengua, C. (1994). "Papillary hyperplasia and cholesterolosis of the gallbladder.". Medicina (B Aires) 54 (1): 31-4. PMID 7990683.