Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung|
|Diagnosis in short|
Adenosquamous carcinoma of lung. H&E stain.
|LM DDx||squamous cell carcinoma of the lung, adenocarcinoma of the lung|
|Site||lung - see lung tumours|
|Clin. DDx||other lung tumours|
It is grouped with the non-small cell lung cancers.
- Adenocarcinoma component (>=10% of tumour ‡).
- Squamous cell carcinoma component (>=10% of tumour ‡).
- ‡ Criteria used by individual pathologists may vary and/or may not be uniformly applied.
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the lung.
- Adenocarcinoma of the lung.
- Metastatic adenosquamous carcinoma - requires history.
- Lung adenosquamous carcinoma (webpathology.com).
- Lung adenosquamous carcinoma (flickr.com/Yale Rosen).
Biopsy - possible adenosquamous carcinoma
Left Upper Lobe of Lung, Core Biopsy: - NONSMALL CELL CARCINOMA, FAVOUR ADENOCARCINOMA, CANNOT EXCLUDE ADENOSQUAMOUS CARCINOMA. Comment: The tumour stains as follow: POSITIVE: TTF-1, CK5/6 (focal), p63, napsin A. NEGATIVE: (none). The positive staining (TTF-1 and napsin A versus CK5/6 and p63) appears to be in different tumour cells. The case was reviewed internally and there is agreement on the above interpretation.
- Cases should not be signed as adenosquamous carcinoma on biopsy, due to the percentage requirements (>=10% for both components) - see microscopic section.
- Song, Z.; Lin, B.; Shao, L.; Zhang, Y. (Sep 2013). "Therapeutic efficacy of gefitinib and erlotinib in patients with advanced lung adenosquamous carcinoma.". J Chin Med Assoc 76 (9): 481-5. doi:10.1016/j.jcma.2013.05.007. PMID 23769878.
- Iwanaga, K.; Sueoka-Aragane, N.; Nakamura, T.; Mori, D.; Kimura, S. (2012). "The long-term survival of a patient with adenosquamous lung carcinoma harboring EGFR-activating mutations who was treated with gefitinib.". Intern Med 51 (19): 2771-4. PMID 23037472.
- Rao, N. (Jul 2014). "Adenosquamous carcinoma.". Semin Diagn Pathol 31 (4): 271-7. doi:10.1053/j.semdp.2014.06.004. PMID 25002356.