Lower anterior resection for cancer grossing
The protocol deals with grossing a lower anterior resection for cancer, abbreviated LAR4ca.
This is a very common specimen. It is done for proximal rectal cancer.
When a LAR is not possible, as the cancer is too distal, an abdominoperineal resection is done.
- Lower anterior resection.
- Length: ___ cm.
- Circumference - proximal end: ___ cm.
- Circumference - distal end: ___ cm.
- Rectum length (distal margin to mesorectal reflection): ___ cm.
Appearance - external:
- Completeness of mesorectal excision: [complete].
- Serosal aspect of bowel: [shiny].
- Perforation: [present/not present].
- Circumferential margin: [black].
- Serosal puckering: [blue].
- Dimensions (along axis, circumferential, depth): ___ x ___ x ___ cm.
- Distance to nearest mucosal margin: ___ cm, [distal] margin.
- Distance to circumferential margin: ___ cm.
- Circumferential location: [anterior/left/right/posterior/circumferential].
Representative sections are submitted as follows:
- Proximal margin. ‡
- Distal margin. ‡
- Tumour - deepest invasion.
- Additional sections of tumour (1 section/cm).
- All polyps (if less than 10).
- Normal appearing mucosa.
- Lymph nodes. †
- ‡ Usually submitted completely and en face; if the margin is close (<2 cm) on edge is typically preferred.
- † Recommended minimum number of lymph nodes is 12.