Difference between revisions of "Morphologic patterns"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Line 84:||Line 84:|
Revision as of 03:00, 31 October 2015
The article deals with morphologic patterns in pathology. It is focused on light microscopy.
The big table of morphology
|Name of pattern||Meaning||DDx (incomplete/abbrev. list)||Image|
|Hobnail||basement membrane area < area exposed to luminal surface||angiosarcoma, clear cell carcinoma|
|Storiform||spiral appearance or cartwhell pattern||solitary fibrous tumour, DFSP, dermatofibroma, UPS|
|Fascicular||the long axis of the (spindle) cells are perpendicular to one another in adjacent bundles of cells||leiomyoma, leiomyosarcoma|
|Plexiform||web-like formation||plexiform neurofibroma, MPNST, plexiform lesion of pulmonary hypertension||plexiform lesion of Pulm. HTn (flickr.com)|
|Cribriform||pierced with small holes||cribriform DCIS, cribriform HGPIN, cribriforming in a tubular adenoma with high-grade dysplasia, endometrioid endometrial carcinoma|
|Solid or Sheeting||no architecture - back-to-back cells with no pattern apparent / no spaces between cells||solid DCIS, poorly-differentiated malignancy (carcinoma, sarcoma, lymphoma)|
|Micropapillary||nipple like projections without a fibrovascular core (papillary = nipple-like)||micropapillary DCIS, micropapillary HGPIN|
|Papillary||nipple-like projection with a fibrovascular core||papillary thyroid carcinoma|
|Flat||board-like, does not have a projection above the surface||flat DCIS||flat DCIS 1 (breastpathology.info), flat DCIS 2 (breastpathology.info)|
|Herring bone||like herring bone (technique) for climbing a hill in cross country skiing; books on a shelf, where they have partially fallen over -- on the one shelf to the left and the one below to the right||fibrosarcoma, synovial sarcoma, MPNST|
|Trabecular or cords||trabecula = little beam; quasi-linear arrangement of cells||normal liver lobule, Sertoli cell tumour|
|Nested (nesting)||islands of cells with a circular outline||neuroendocrine tumours|
|Biphasic / multiple patterns||multiple patterns or cell types; e.g. spindle cells and epithelioid cells||synovial sarcoma, malignant melanoma, pleomorphic adenoma, angiomyolipoma, chondroid syringoma|
- Basement membrane area < area exposed to luminal surface.
- Storiform. dictionary.com. URL: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/storiform. Accessed on: April 24, 2009.
- URL: http://www.mondofacto.com/facts/dictionary?plexiform. Accessed on: March 9, 2010.
- URL: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cribriform. Accessed on: 8 August 2011.
- URL: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/papillary. Accessed on: 8 August 2011.
- URL: http://www.breastpathology.info/Sloane/dcis.html. Accessed on: 8 August 2011.
- URL: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trabecula. Accessed on: 26 December 2010.