Histology artifacts are common.
- Darker well demarcated line with apparent disruption of the architecture.
Tissue fold (center of image) in basal cell hyperplasia of the prostate.
Extensive tissue folding in a SSA.
- Fine parallel lines.
Chatter artifact in tubular adenoma.
Chatter artifact in complex endometrial hyperplasia.
Chatter artifact in TILs.
- Usually due to something intrinsic to the tissue that is hard, e.g. calcium.
- Angulated pieces of tissue with punched-out missing fragments.
- May result in little squares of tissue arranged in a regular pattern.
- Large bubbles of air under the cover slip.
- Black-grey lines - takes on the outline of the tissue beneath it.
- Above the plane-of-focus of the tissue - key feature.